Every week I like to write about subjects that are on my mind regarding Fulham Football Club. This was an interesting week for the team. Fulham tied Wolverhampton 0 - 0 at Craven Cottage last Sunday. They also tied Hamburg 0 - 0 in Germany in the Europa League Semifinals. This upcoming week will be very interesting. Fulham play Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday. Then, on Thursday the team plays Hamburg in the second leg of the Semifinals of the Europa League at Craven Cottage. I certainly have several things on my mind regarding Fulham. Below are my "10 Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week April 24th."
1. I think Kevin Doyle would be a great transfer target for Fulham. I believe last summer there were rumors of him being a summer target. After watching the game last Sunday I was impressed by him as a striker. I would love if Fulham really went after him this summer. He would look great playing for the Cottagers.
2. I think I have gained a great amount of respect for Wolverhampton. Going into the match I thought this was a game that Fulham should win at home. This was a pretty even game on Sunday. Wolverhampton were tough to breakdown. They weren't flashy, but got the job done. Wolverhampton might be in the Premier League for awhile.
3. I think Fulham made the best out of the travel situation. It wasn't ideal for Fulham to travel to Germany by Coach. Fulham seemed to make the best of it. They even got outside and exercised on the motorway during a traffic backup. It probably was also a chance for them to further bond together.
4. I think Mark Schwarzer was incredible in Germany. In my opinion, he was the difference in the match. Late in the game he was under serious pressure from Hamburg. He made two finger - tipped saves. He gave Fulham a fighting chance in the second leg. He has been great all year. Goalkeeper is not an issue for Fulham.
5. I think not getting an away goal in Germany just makes it tougher for Fulham in the Europa League Semifinals. The second leg would have been easier for Fulham with this away goal. They really could use a shut out from Schwarzer in the second leg. I still like our chances. It just makes the job a little harder. Fulham still have a good opportunity to move on to the Finals.
6. I think Hamburg should travel by coach to London. It only seems fair that Hamburg should travel by coach to play Fulham. They should have to deal with the same issues Fulham had in the first leg. It is not going to happen.
7. I think I am fine with resting players for the Everton match. Bobby Zamora is probably not going to play. If Roy decides to rest five other players he has my support. I have no idea what he is going to do. The Europa League is now the priority. I have faith the Hodgson will do what is best for Fulham.
8. I think Bobby Zamora will play against Hamburg on Thursday. Bobby has been fighting this Achilles injury for awhile now. This is not a new injury. Hopefully with rest he will be ready to go. This is probably the biggest game in his life. I am sure he will do everything in his power to play.
9. I think Fulham need to be aggressive at home against Hamburg. Fulham are at there best when they are at home. They can't sit back in this match and expect to win. They need to take control of this match and look to score whenever possible.
10. I think Piotr Trochowski not being able to play this Thursday for Hamburg definitely helps Fulham. He is ineligible for this match because of the last yellow card he received in the first leg. Chris Baird is not available for Fulham becuase of the same situation. However, Trochowski was very dangerous for Hamburg in the first leg. Fulham can replace Chris Baird and survive. The question is how will Hamburg play without Trochowski? I am not saying he is their most valuable player. I am just saying he is a very good player, and any team would feel some affects of him not being available.
As you can tell I certainly have many things on my mind. I am sure I will have plenty of things to think about next week.