Last season every week I would post my ten thoughts that were on my mind regarding Fulham. Now that the transfer window is over I am bringing back the weekly post. There certainly is plenty of topics to choose from. Below are my " Ten Things I Think About Fulham Football Club".
1. Fulham were fortunate to get a draw at Blackpool. Going into the match I thought this was a game that Fulham should win. Blackpool were just promoted up from the Championship. Ian Holloway's club really surprised me. They played to win with a very attacking style of football. Fulham fought back late in the game to get the draw.
Blackpool's Luke Varney was great, and almost led his club to a victory. Blackpool is not a team to take lightly this season.
2. Fulham have been aggressive so far on the road. In the two road games so far this season, Fulham have not sat back and played defensively. They came out in both games playing an attacking style on the road. This style was encouraging to see from Fulham. Even though they have two draws on the road, I have a feeling we will start to see some victories. Last year under Hodgson it seemed that Fulham played more defensive away from Craven Cottage.
3. I feel that Moussa Dembele is going to be the partner up front that Bobby Zamora needs. I have been very impressed by the play of Moussa Dembele so far. He was involved in setting up both goals for Fulham against Blackpool. If he can build on what he has shown in two games, Fulham might have two strikers up front that will be difficult to contain.
4. Dickson Etuhu has been a pleasant surprise in attacking situations. Etuhu, under Roy Hodgson played as a defensive central midfielder. It seems under Hughes he is given more freedom to push forward. He should have scored against Manchester United. He did get the equalizing goal against Blackpool. I am encouraged by his play in the first three games.
5. Bobby Zamora is showing that last season was not a fluke. Zamora had a tremendous season last year. He already has started great in the very early start of this season. He is scoring goals, and being a physical presence up front. He could be on his way to another tremendous year.
6. I am glad that Mark Schwarzer did not leave for Arsenal. This whole whole summer I was following the stories linking him to Arsenal. I was really getting fed up with all the articles. I understand his reasons for wanting to go. As a fan of Fulham though I want are best players to stay. He is a great goalkeeper, and Fulham are lucky to have him.
If Fulham could have found a replacement for Schwarzer I wouldn't have been against the move to Arsenal. Since they could not find another goalkeeper, Mark Hughes did the right thing and kept Schwarzer at Fulham. I do believe he still will perform well for the Cottagers.
7. The Paul Konchesky deal could benefit both Liverpool and Fulham. Paul Konchesky completed a transfer yesterday from Fulham to Liverpool. In exchange Fulham received young players Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic as part of the deal. Fulham also got cash with the Liverpool deal for Konchesky.
Fulham lost a very good left back, but gained two promising young players. I personally think this was a fair deal for both teams.
8. I would have loved to have seen Fulham make a deal for Tottenham Hotspur's David Bentley. There was speculation yesterday that Fulham were trying to get David Bentley from Spurs.
I think Fulham need more midfielders, and Bentley would have been a nice addition for Fulham. It might have been a rumor, but it certainly got me interested.
9. I am fine with three draws in three games so far for Fulham. The fact that two of these draws were on the road is a good sign in my opinion. Hopefully these draws will eventually lead to victories. It is early in the season, and the team is still adjusting the new style of play under Hughes. I think they are only going to get better.
10. I feel Mark Hughes has made a real good first impression with Fulham. The manager has put out a more attacking style of play for Fulham than they played last season. He has also brought in more players to upgrade the team. Finally, he stuck by his guns and held on to his top goalkeeper. I don't have much to complain about with the job that Mark Hughes is doing with Fulham. I think we are in for another exciting season.
I certainly had a good amount on my mind. I am sure I will have plenty to think about next week.