clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Fulham 4 - 0 Tottenham

Getty Images

The Cottagers ran riot in the F.A Cup 4th round at home to giants Tottenham Hotspur, banging 4 goals past visiting 'keeper Gomes.

The game started reasonably slowly before things started to heat up after the 10 minute mark. Fulham were handed a penalty after Spurs right back Alan Hutton barged Clint Dempsey to the ground following a fine interception and run on goal from the American. The ever-reliable Danny Murphy stepped up and efficiently converted the penalty; unaware that he'd repeat the event only 3 minutes later.

Again following an interception, Belgian Moussa Dembele's shirt was tugged in the box by English centre-half Michael Dawson, who was sanctioned with a red card. By the 14 minute mark Fulham were 2-0 up and cruising with Murphy finishing his second penalty with ease.

Fulham didn't sit back on their lead, however, despite the one man advantage, and instead, continued to press. Andy Johnson extended his fine run of form by causing yet more problems to the opposition defence with timely runs and pin-point crosses. The 29 year-old proved this point with a fine ball for Clint Dempsey who unfortunately couldn't convert the opportunity under pressure.

A goal didn't come before long though with Brede Hangeland bagging another strike in a fine goal-scoring season for the centre-back. A Damien Duff corner caused an array of problems for the Tottenham defence and following a knock on from AJ, Hangeland had the simple job of tapping home from 2 or so yards.

The first half came to a close in fantastic fashion with a 4th goal of the game for Fulham. After working tirelessly hard throughout the half, Dembele got his reward with a fine strike from the edge of the penalty area that any goalkeeper would have struggled to keep out.

Tottenham appeared to come out from the break resurged after Peter Crouch replaced a lackluster Jermain Defoe. However, the resurgence didn't last and Fulham settled into a controlling pattern of play.

As Spurs continued to be sloppy with their passing, it opened the door for many a counter attack for the Whites, upon which we based our attacks. Pantsil made a great interception on 58 minutes and set up Johnson and Dembele with a decent opportunity outside the Spurs penalty area.

After the tempo of the game slowed, Mark Hughes made a couple of changes, with Johnson, Murphy and Dembele being substituted for Gera, Greening and Davies respectively later on in the half.

Fulham rounded off the game with two great chances; one striking the crossbar and one being cleared off the line. Yet again it was a corner that caused the problems, with Aaron Hughes rising highest to head the ball onto the bar, only for the ball to fall to the feet of Hangeland once more, who saw his effort ricochet of a Tottenham player on the goal-line.

The home side saw the game out and confirmed their passage to the fifth round of the FA Cup with a wonderful and memorable 4-0 victory. The Whites will welcome either Wigan Athletic or Bolton Wanderers to the Cottage next up.