Obviously, this weekend's result against Hull was a tough one to take. Additionally, it's now known that wins in the final two games are almost certainly necessary to maintain Fulham's position in the Premier League. That being said, aside from our own, what other matches should you keep an eye on that could make an impact on the Whites' survival hopes?
Saturday, May 3rd
- Aston Villa vs. Hull City
- The more and more you look at the table and remaining fixtures, the more and more it looks as though Villa could be relegated. This game is vital for Fulham, especially given the out-of-nowhere resurgence of Sunderland. Villa follow this match with tilts away to Manchester City, who now take the title if they win out, and then away to Tottenham, still fighting to maintain a Europa League position. If Hull can somehow get a win, or even a draw, on the road, it would immensely help Fulham's fight to stay up.
- Manchester United vs. Sunderland
- Obvious reasons with this one, the Black Cats now find themselves above the drop zone after a 4-0 thumping of Cardiff. Hot at the right time, even if they lose this match I can easily see them taking all six points in their final matches at home against West Brom and Swansea.
- Newcastle United vs. Cardiff City
- The Magpies are in the worst form out of any team in the league and Cardiff will be giving their all to scrap their way out of the bottom of the table. With the massive defeat at the Stadium of Light this past weekend, it may be hard pressed to find any quality in this one. However, even if Cardiff were to win it, I think it is safe to say they will go down barring a final day miracle against Chelsea and many other results going in their favor.
Sunday, May 4th
- Chelsea vs. Norwich City
- Poor old Norwich. Possibly the worst run in you could possibly have, probably another loss here which would most likely seal their relegation fate.
Wednesday, May 7th
- Sunderland vs. West Bromwich Albion
- After their weekend matchup against United, Sunderland return home to face a West Brom side that secured a massive three points this past weekend versus West Ham. Although in a considerably better position now, the Baggies aren't out of the woods yet. They finish with Arsenal, Sunderland, and Stoke, probably needing one point out of those three to stay up. This one will be a classic relegation scrap.
- Manchester City vs. Aston Villa
- I already explained how crucial Villa's clash with Hull is for us Fulham fans. Although it's been a crazy season thus far, I don't see City losing this one. Once again, I must stress the overwhelming importance of Villa - Hull this coming weekend, and the Tigers getting at least a draw in order to keep this game's outcome relevant for the Whites.
Sunday, May 11th
- Cardiff City vs. Chelsea
- It seems like Cardiff have too much work to do now. To some, this match will be a welcome end to a tumultuous season in south Wales, regardless of result.
- Sunderland vs. Swansea
- Most likely all to play for in order to stay up, Sunderland will pull out all the stops. On the other hand, Swansea has almost certainly secured safety. The Black Cats will be gunning for it in this one.
- Tottenham vs. Aston Villa
- Villa must take no more than one point in their previous two matches to make this relevant. If so, pending that Fulham is still in contention, a Spurs win could be vital for us.
A lot of moving pieces to digest here, which is what one would expect in a relegation battle. Granted, this could be all for naught if Fulham don't take care of their side of things. Nobody knows what will end up happening, all we can do is believe...just ask the 07-08 squad. COYW!