clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Wolves 3 - Fulham 3 (3 - 5 pens)


Snow falls at the Molineux Stadium during the 3rd round replay between Wolves and Fulham.
Snow falls at the Molineux Stadium during the 3rd round replay between Wolves and Fulham.
Jan Kruger/Getty Images

After an incredible 6-goal thriller, the Whites went on to calmly win the penalty shootout 5-3 and go on to the FA Cup 4th Round.

The game started off with a serious amount of attacking pressure as Fulham got 2 shots on target and forced 3 corners in the first 10 minutes of the game, with Ross McCormack and Cauley Woodrow leading the attempts on goal, the latter opening the scoring with a header from the centre of the box which was assisted by Kostas Stafylidis. Seko Fofana almost made it 2-0 a minute after, however his shot just narrowly missed to the right of the net. The rest of the first half was mainly Fulham attacks, with Moussa Dembele almost scoring twice in a row, his right and left-footed shots missing to the right and left of the net, respectively (isn't that funny?).

The second half got off to a good start, with Dembele and McCormack again almost extending the lead to 2-0 in the first 5 minutes. 20 minutes and a few attempts later, Wolves eventually equalised in the 70th minute,  Dave Edwards' left-footed shot from the centre of the box hitting the bottom-left of the net. They managed to score again, this time with Rajiv van La Parra shooting straight down the middle in the 72nd minute. But Cauley Woodrow saved the day, with a close-range shot hitting the top right of the net just 2 minutes later. After numerous attempts on goal from both sides, the whistle blew for Extra Time.

Wolverhampton scored again, this time taking the lead in the 2nd half of extra time, with Dave Edwards again shooting from the right side of the box straight down the middle of the net. Ross McCormack almost equalised again, but unfortunately this shot was blocked. Wolverhampton conceded a penalty a minute later, however, which Ross McCormack scored, netting the ball in the bottom-right corner.

All was not lost as the dreaded penalty shootout began, with Ross McCormack (again!) tapping the ball into the bottom-right of the net, after which Dave Edwards equalised the penalty scoring with his shot. Cauley Woodrow gave Fulham the lead again with his penalty, Matt Doherty missing his, which ultimately gave Kostas Stayflidis the chance to extend the lead, which he did. Lee Evans cut the lead down to just one penalty, and Patrick Roberts extended it again with his shot, straight down the middle. Leon Clarke's shot wasn't enough to keep Wolverhampton's FA Cup hopes alive as Hugo Rodallega sealed the deal with his shot to the top right corner.

After a gruelling 125 minutes of nail-biting football, we won! See you in the 4th round!