clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0 - Fulham 1

Seven minutes of extra time. SEVEN MINUTES.

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

SEVEN MI- anyway, after a good performance by the Cottagers earlier this evening, as well as a smooth finish from Alexander Kacaniklic, we managed to send Wycombe Wanderers tumbling out of the Capital One Cup. At their own stadium. Yeesh, talk about embarrassing.

The game, played to just over four thousand people, started off with a quick chance from the hosts, two minutes in, when Garry Thompson met a cross, but Bodurov managed to clear the header. We replied a few minutes later when Ben Pringle fed Ross McCormack deep inside the box, but his hard strike flew wide of the post. Then Wycombe replied with a 30-yard effort from Joe Jacobson, his volley sailing high and wide of the net, as well as a slip in the 19th, when the ball literally slipped away from Marcus Bean, amounting to nothing.

McCormack had a sight of goal at the other end, the Scotsman's right-footed shot flying way off target from 20 yards. In the 23rd minute, he fed Kacaniklic, who then crossed to Jamie O'Hara, his volley going straight out for a Wycombe throw-in. The Swede then drilled a strike just past the post, while Bettinelli fumbled a free kick at our side of the pitch, Blues defender Danny Rowe was unable to capitalise on a golden chance. An extremely dangerous chance for the home side came just after half an hour in, when Anthony Stewart headed deep inside the box, connecting with a volley from Garry Thompson, which slipped over the bar (whew!).

Some fancy one-two'ing from Tom Cairney Kacaniklic resulted in Cairney feeding McCormack with a pass, whose incredible strike found the net, however it was unfortunately judged as an offside, bringing a pretty jam-packed first half to a close.

A couple of things to note around the beginning of the second half; the first being that Kacaniklic was booked for pulling his man while being just outside of the box, Bettinelli taking care of the loose ball. Also worth noting is that Jack Grimmer was stretchered off with an injury, after the right-back was involved in a gnarly challenge. He was replaced by Jazz Richards. Our favourite Swede then launched a great rising strike in the 65th minute, which Blues goalie Matt Ingram had to do well to catch.

Matt Smith was bought on to take the place of Cauley Woodrow, the former Leeds man finding McCormack, who then fed Pringle, the new signee picking out none other than Kacaniklic, his calm finish finding it's way into corner of the net. 1-0. O'Hara was booked for a tackle on Thompson. The following free kick sailed over; Thompson came off to be replaced by Jason Banton shortly after. Smith had sight of goal in the 77th, when he connected with a corner by Pringle, his header sailing just wide.

Rowe was booked for a sliding tackle on McCormack, while the Blues' manager Gareth Ainsowrth took Sam Wood off for Ryan Sellers. Sakari Mattila made his debut for us in the 83rd minute, coming on to replace O'Hara, while Wycombe also took this opportunity to bring on Paul Hayes in place of Aaron Amadi-Holloway.

Michael Harriman was booked for a foul on Pringle, the following free kick didn't lead to anything as we began to play through injury time. After SEVEN MINUTES of keeping possession against the home side in the added time, the whistle was blown and we sailed comfortably into the Second Round of the Capital One Cup. Let's keep this up!