clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Hull City 2 - Fulham 1

Oh dear.

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

What is it with us and late goals? A (you guessed it; no OG Maco pun here) late goal from Sone Aluko meant that we took another loss yesterday at the KC Stadium against Hull CIty.

The game started off very quietly, with each team having a chance for the opening 20 minutes; the first happening when some smart playing from Ross McCormack meant that Lasse Vigen Christensen could slide through, before his shot was cleared. A similar chance from the home side happened at the other end, when Andrew Robertson's shot was thwarted by Nikolay Bodurov.

In the 24th minute, things started to heat up when a deep cross from Aluko met the head of Ahmed Elmohamady, whose effort was cleared by Bodurov for a corner, which resulted in a chance from Tom Huddlestone which grazed the crossbar and tipped just over. Another effort came when a pass from Kay Voser came into Chuba Akpom's path, his effort from the edge of the box was blocked by Shaun Hutchinson. The Scotsman was fouled by Abel Hernandez, the latter's header hitting the crossbar. Then it was 1-0. A corner was met by Robertson, his cross nodded in by Elmohamady. Ben Pringle was booked shortly after for grabbing Hernandez.

We eventually had a shot on goal in the 39th minute, but Matt Smith's weak 20-yard strike was easily held by Allan McGregor. Hull retaliated by almost replicating their first goal, except this time round Elmohamady went wide of the post. Then things got weird. Marcus Bettinelli and Smith ended up colliding with each other, as you do, sometimes, which resulted in Andrew Lonergan and Moussa Dembele coming on to replace them to end the half.

The start of the second was very quiet, until the 56th minute, when a pass by McCormack met Tom Cairney, however the former Hull man's volley shot way over. Bodurov was booked shortly after for body checking Akpom. We managed to get another chance just two minutes later, when a pass from Christensen picked out Jazz Richards, his shot being deflected out for a corner. The following set piece was headed over by Hutchinson. Hernandez was replaced by Sam Clucas for the home side shortly after.

We kept the possession going and ended up with another chance on goal when Richards crossed to Dembele, however the Frenchman shot sailed straight over the bar. McCormack equalized shortly after, his shot sailing into the corner of the net after receiving a pass from Christensen. The home side didn't like this, and retaliated by bringing on Nikica Jelavic to replace Akpom. Dembele ended up winning a free kick shortly after, which McCormack ended up shooting into the arms of McGregor. Issac Hayden came on Huddlestone, and Hull got back into the game, this time a cross from David Meyler met Clucas, but luckily his header shot both across and behind goal.

The home side pulled the trigger when Aluko managed to set the ball past Lonergan to make it 2-1 in the final stages of the game. Kit Symons responded by bringing on Alexander Kacaniklic to replace Pringle, before Josh O'Hara was booked for a challenge on Aluko, as the game ended, in defeat, once again.

Hopefully we can turn this losing streak around on Saturday, when we face Huddersfield Town at Craven Cottage.