clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Fulham 0 - Wolverhampton Wanderers 3


Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images

Regretably, I had no clue this game was actually being played. I assumed we were playing this coming Saturday! And I started my first day of university last night which is why this match report is being published today instead of yesterday. Anyways, on to the job which is trying to transcribe how we lost 3-0, at home of all places, last night, to Wolverhampton.

So the game kicked off to Wolves having the first effort on three minutes, when Nathan Byrne sent a cross in, which Andy Lonergan slapped away, before the ball found its way to Benik Afobe, whose shot was saved by our keeper. He was forced back into action eight minutes later, sending a ball over after Adam Le Fondre made his way on goal. The action didn't stop there, as two minutes after Adobe failed to capitalise on a cross by Dominic Lorfa. The loose ball made its way to James Henry, who sent his curling shot over the far post.

We had our first chance on the 19th minute, however Moussa Dembele's shot from the edge of the box was blocked by Kortney Hause, before Tom Cairney let his left footed effort fly from 20 yards out, which visiting goalie Damian Martinez saved comfortably. In the 23rd minute, Afobe managed to cut inside the box after he collected a cross, but his shot was held by Lonergan. Our goalie was constantly the centre of action as on the half an hour mark, Ryan Fredericks sent a cross from Henry towards out own goal. The ball landed at the feet of Byrne, who sent his rebound effort wide. Just a minute later, Lonergan was forced back into action, pushing a long range effort from Henry out for a corner.

Then things got worse. A lot worse. Tom Cairney was shown a red card in the 35th minute. While chasing after the ball, he launched a challenge on Le Fondre with a double foot tackle. Lorfa's cross before haltime was met by Henry, his header landed on the roof of the net. After the break, a slide tackle by Ryan Tunniclife helped stop Afobe while he was breaking into the box, before a header from substitute Sheyi Ojo was slapped away by Lonergan. And then came the goals. In the 56th minute, Ojo cut back from the left and curled a shot towards goal, which Le Fondre capitalised on by flicking the ball past Lonergan, off the far post and into the net. 1-0.

Three minutes later it was 2-0, when Ojo's left footed effort went through the fingers of Lonergan at his near post and into the back of the net. We replied by bringing Lasse Vigen Christensen on to replace Ben Pringle. Kay Voser came on to replace Fredericks in the 76th minute, but things got worse as it was found that Tim Ream had fouled Le Fondre on the edge of the box, however no card was shown. But the free kick ended the game as Henry curled it over the wall, and all the way into the far corner. Jamie O'Hara came off, booed by the home fans, to be replaced by Sakari Mattila. Kevin McDonald's rounded up the visitors' efforts in stoppage time as his shot was held by Lonergan as the whistle was blown for full time.

We don't suck that bad though. Our next game is against Charlton Athletic on Sunday. And it's been televised on Sky Sports 1. Let's see if we win that one.