clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 2 - Fulham 1

Twice! In two weeks! To the same team!

Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

Imagine that. We lost to Sheffield Wednesday, 2-1, for the second time in two consecutive weeks, though this time the loss took us out of the FA Cup. It took me so long to get this up as I was scratching my head in shock since Saturday. Seriously, what?

The game got to a start after a minute's silence for former Owls keeper Pavel Srnicek, who died at the end of last year. We had the first chance when a misplaced Sheffield pass went to Jamie O'Hara, whose shot lacked the right amount of power and ended up with Joe Wildsmith. Shortly after, Jazz Richards was shown a yellow card for tugging on Modou Sougou as the hosts won possession.

From the following free kick, the Owls had an opportunity to open the scoring that wasn't taken, after an insane rush of Fulham defence led to nobody clearing the ball, before Glenn Loovens blazed straight over the bar, before we ended up with a free kick too, in the 13th minute. O'Hara took it, and unfortunately his curled effort was knocked away by Wildsmith.

Not a lot happened between that and the scoring besides a few misses, but Sheffield again, like last week, took the lead when Barry Bannan took a half-volley that left our own Andy Lonergan in shock, as the ball sailed straight into the corner of the net to make it 1-0, but not before a wonderful pass from Tom Cairney led Ross McCormack in, whose low shot was deflected into Moussa Dembele, the youngster slotting his effort in - almost from the line.

A header in stoppage time sent McCormack in on goal, but his tame shot was stopped by Wildsmith before the whistle blew for the break.

Following the replay, Richards had a crazy left footed cross nodded ontowards goal by Dembele, but somehow (!!!!) Wildsmith managed to scramble the ball over the net.

A handful of misses from both sides followed for the next twenty or so minutes, before Luke Garbutt and Alexander Kacaniklic came off for Tim Ream and Saki Mattila, respectively, but not before Wednesday made it 2-1, as we were unable to clear the ball from in front of the net, which Atdhe Nuhiu volleyed off the ground and past Lonergan for the lead.

McCormack replied for us with a 30-yarder, but Wildsmith was there to parry it out. Lucas Joao shot an effort just wide off the post in the 84th minute as we looked to get an equalizer, however that didn't happen following an effort from Mattila with two minutes left on the clock, but his header sailed just a couple of yards over the crossbar, leaving us empty handed when the 90 minutes were up, sending us out of the FA Cup.

Let's just hope it gets better for us.